I am starting this blog for a few important reasons:
- I’ve been obsessed with food blogs and Pinterest for years.
- I always get obsessed with weird diet trends and supplements hoping to find something that’s actually going to work for me. (Ex: Garcinia combogia (SP?), natural metabolism supplements, Slimquick, Beta alanine, Paleo, Whole30, and many more…). I’m becoming infamous for it in my group of friends, and well, why not document what I try and what works, and what doesn’t work?
- I most recently decided to embark on a 28-day journey with the most commitment I’ve ever been willing to follow through with. Annnnnd… That is..
The Ketogenic Diet!
I’ve done a ton of research and this seems like the most scientifically backed diet yet – and it is basically guaranteeing you will lose weight in a healthy way which is exactly what I need right now.
Don’t get me wrong, I am not overweight. But about two years ago I was at my prime weight and I was sooo happy with myself. The pounds crept on that winter/next few months afterwards and I haven’t been able to get them off since, even with relentless, strict calorie counting throughout the week, tons of exercise (that’s for another post) and I’m at a point where I need to try something drastically different.
SO. Keto it is. May 1st – May 27, 4 solid weeks. I wish I could say I could go longer but my my friend’s birthday in out of all places, NAPA is that weekend so I don’t think I’m going to get out of wine tasting.
Anyway, reaching ketosis is my goal in the first week by meticulously counting carbs and making sure I don’t eat a crazy amount of calories with all this damn fat I’m going to be eating.
Then after that.. Let’s just say I’m going to shoot to lose 10-15 pounds this month. I’m aware that about 5 pounds is alllll water weight… even up to 10 pounds. So I think that that goal, is totally realistic. However we shall see. And that’s IDEAL so no one freak out yet I plan on doing this 100% healthy way!
I will be documenting:
- Weigh ins. Shit.
- Weekly “Ketone” levels with pee sticks that I plan on getting at CVS
- Recipes I find in the blog/pinterest world that work awesome for this diet
- Macros. With a huge thank you in advance to MyFitnessPal for calculating everything for me.
I’m not going to get into too much detail with the ketogenic diet and all of the scientific backing but you can do an easy Google and find a TON of stuff. The one site I’ll mention with all of the scientific info (and again there’s tons of good ones) is this awesome Keto Diet App Calculator. After I went through that I determined the following:
- I am going to eat approx. 1500 calories a day
Net Carbs Protein Fat 25 grams 83 grams 126 grams 100 kcal 333 kcal 1133 kcal 6 % 21 % 73 %
I went to Ralph’s tonight and spent about $70 on food for meal prep and just to have on handy for this. I don’t normally have lots of unhealthy food so I didn’t need too much but I needed some staples. Some things I’d recommend for SURE having include olive/coconut oil, chicken breasts, ground beef, sliced cheese/shredded cheese/string cheese, nuts, and some basic veggies like broccoli and squash, and onion for flavor. Oh and cocoa powder and peanut butter for FAT bombs.
After I took all of this stuff home I set up the things I planned to make that would be ready for the week:
EXCITING pic, I know!
With this stuff I made these two recipes both which turned out awesome.
In addition I cooked the whole pack of bacon in the oven to save, and cooked a steak I had left over from camping this weekend for lunch tomorrow.
Tomorrow I plan on making these cream cheese pancakes in the morning and eating them with bacon. Bringing my steak to work with some slices of cheese and adding an avocado. Bringing coconut oil and almonds for a snack. And eating meatballs with cheese and cauliflower & zucchini for dinner. (and probably eating a fat bomb after)
Sound realistic? Hmmmm… we shall see! 😉